We decided to go out tonight for our anniversary since my mom is in town. Plus, our anniversary is on a Thursday this year. Saturday just makes for a better date night, in my opinion.
We wanted to try Killen's Steakhouse, a local place here in Pearland (Mom and Dad got us a gift certificate, so that didn't hurt either!). We'd heard a lot of very good things. It used to be a bar but then the owner's son graduated from Le Cordon Bleu and decided to make it a fancy restaurant. It's a pretty small place and very easy to miss (looks like a bar still from the outside).
We decided to get a cab so we could share a bottle of wine. I was a little nervous because the dispatcher didn't seem to understand a word I said. BUT 10 minutes early, our phone rings and it's the cab driver. We told him he'd have to wait a minute because we were helping my mom get the girls in the bath. We head outside and one of the little girls who lives down the street was outside by the cab. Turns out, her dad was our driver! I knew he was a cab driver but I never thought about how to get ahold of him. He was so nice! He didn't even turn on his meter and refused to take money for the drive there.
We got to the restaurant about 30 minutes early but they didn't have a bar where we could sit. They got us to a table early though, so that was nice. We got a bottle of wine (a Tempranillo) and ordered 2 appetizers (Seared Ahi Tuna and a Crab Cake). Then Brandon got a Ceasar salad that was really good and I had a wedge salad. For entrees, I got a 6 oz bacon wrapped filet with 2 jumbo shrimp and Brandon got a 6 oz filet. The meat MELTED in your mouth. SO good. We split a side of creamed spinach. For dessert, Brandon got a New York cheesecake and I got a chocolate lava cake.
The Ahi was good but the crab cake was incredible. Brandon's salad was probably the best Ceasar we've had. It was made with fresh anchovies instead of anchovy paste. The meat was amazing. It honestly melted in your mouth. The spinach was very good. My dessert was okay; the cake part was a little dry. Brandon LOVED his cheesecake though.
I think if we go again we won't get the ahi but will definitely get the crab cake again. I'll probably get the 6 oz filet but will get the Oscar topping instead of the the bacon/shrimp. We'd probably do the spinach again. And I wouldn't get the lava cake. I'll probably do their bread pudding (which I've heard doesn't have raisins and is made with croissants).
We called our neighbor to come and get us. He wasn't going to charge us again! I made him take the money and made sure he understood that it was our anniversary and he made it possible for us to share a bottle of wine with dinner. He said to please call again if we wanted to go out and drink. That's what neighbors are for! Such a nice guy!!! (Brandon is already thinking of calling him during football season!).
And as a bonus, the girls were good for my mom!



0 comments:
Post a Comment