Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Horrified

Okay, I know that I haven't blogged in a while (everyone's been slightly under the weather). And now I'm going to blog an opinion piece, so I apologize if you're here looking for updates on the girls. I promise I'll get to those soon. BUT I had to blog about something I read that has me SUPER upset.

17-Pound, 4-Month-Old Baby Denied Health Insurance for Being Too Fat

The article says that a Colorado family who was facing rising insurance costs decided to look elsewhere for their insurance. They applied to a company and were in underwriting. That's when they were told, "your baby is too fat." They said that as a rule, no insurance company will insure children who are over the 95th percentile. Their 17 lbs, 4 month old child was in the 99th percentile.

Allison was 17 lbs, 6 oz. Allison is still on the high end (now measured in BMI) but has shown no other signs of being at risk for obesity. She eats a VERY healthy diet and until the last 6 months, had never had anything other than milk or water to drink. Her doctor didn't even give us her BMI (which I know is high) because she said she's not worried. She is certain that Allison will level off and that her growth is consistent with her own curve (they worry if the child just keeps trending up or if there is no apparent curve). She has ALWAYS been over the 95th percentile. Bottom line - SHE'S HEALTHY.

Jordan was 17 lbs. She's now 17 months and fell in the 85-90th percentile at her last appointment. Over 95th and now under. So she could be insured but Allison couldn't? When they have the same parents, the same lifestyle and probably all the same risk factors for obesity???

Yes, Allison had some gross motor skill issues. But the doctors seem to think that this was as much her cautious, afraid to try new things as much as her stature. Jordan was almost identical in stature to Allison and she has had no issues.

Brandon was solely breastfed (like the baby in the story) and was so chubby, that the little fat rolls in his wrists would cut off circulation to his fingers. He was put on a "diet" where his mom was only allowed to feed him breast milk 3 times a day and the rest of the time it had to be water. For those of you who know my husband, does he look obese?!?!?!?

Children's weights can fluctuate on those charts from visit to visit. I think it's absolutely ludicrous that the insurance company is denying this baby insurance for a "pre-existing" condition of OBESITY.

What scares me is that this could be come more and more prevelant. As the medical community starts having more studies as to all of the horrible things that are caused by obesity, more and more insurance companies are going to start rejecting people for coverage. This makes sense to me (well, in a business way it does). But to deny a 4 MONTH OLD CHILD because of obesity? Crazy.

Okay, more fun posts about the girls to come later. Sorry about the rant!

5 comments:

The Maiden Metallurgist said...

That is crazy.

Sarah said...

It is so upsetting and jaw dropping! All kids are so different and still healthy. They should be concerned about the kid who is in the 50th%ile and eating McD's three or four times a week, but even to that extent, it is not any of their bee's wax. Kids should not be dragged into this mess, they have no control over any of it and I like to think that the vast majority of the time parents are trying as hard as they can to provide a safe, healthy life for their kids and are damned if they do and damned if they don't, but I am very bitter about kids being judged based purely on weight or percentile, sue me!

Christy & Zach said...

That is one of the craziest things I have ever heard! Babies jump around so much. My little Wyatt is in the 95th percentile and I don't think anyone would classify him as obese! And Makenna started there but now at 2 she is in about the 25th. Ever child is so different. Luckily, our insurance company doesn't have a problem with it.

L.G. said...

That is so ridiculous! While I was in private practice peds, I asked about kids' weight and when do you start to worry. Babies...you NEVER worry! They don't know how to eat when they are bored or sad, they eat when they are hungry! My MIL was so worried that her first son would be fat that she underfed him and delayed his soft spot closing! Does that sound better?! Urg! I hate insurance!!!

Aunt Crazy said...

OMG...that is insane!!! Babies are supposed to be chubby, that makes them cute, WTF is wrong with America these days????