Sunday, October 18, 2009

No Known Drug Allergies?

Well, we can no longer put this on Allison's medical forms. How did we discover that, you might ask.

Last Tuesday, Allison got a bug bite that started looking pretty ugly by Thursday. I took her to the doctor's office (6:30 pm appointment.....yuck). The doctor (not our normal one) said she thought it looked like it was either infected or almost there. She prescribed an antibiotic for her (a sulfa antibiotic).

We were putting her to bed Friday night when I noticed that her chest, back and stomach had a weird, light pink rash on them. Brandon said to look it up online. I made fun of him because a weird rash with no other symptoms was going to return HUNDREDS of results. Then he said to check if it was a reaction to her medication.

This is when the lightbulb went off for me. I remembered a story that one of my sorority sisters had told me about how her family discovered her sulfa allergy. We're still friendly but not "call you at 10 pm on a Friday to talk about my kid" friendly so I posted on Facebook. Sure enough, she responded that it sounded like her reaction. So did a bunch of other people.

SO on Saturday morning, when Allison looked like THIS:
we called her doctor. Her doctor said that unless she had open sores in her mouth/throat, it wasn't anything to be too worried about. Just keep an eye on it, give her Benadryl if she is acting like it itches and don't finish the meds.

So we now know that one of my kids has a sulfa allergy. Nice. (Oh, and Allison had to go to a birthday party looking like we left her out in the sun with no sunscreen on!)

2 comments:

Me and My Boys said...

Poor Allison! I hope she's getting better. :)

The Maiden Metallurgist said...

Poor little pumpkin. When I was little I used to get the hives all the time, I remember feeling very special and itchy. I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious.