Thursday, May 20, 2010

Crockpot Experiment

Pork roast was on sale this week. And the Super Simple Cranberry Pot Roast (from the Crockpot Lady's blog) sounded fantastic. I was sure I had cranberry sauce in my pantry, so that's the meat I bought on Saturday.

Back to this morning. Today was NOT a good day. We got last minute Astros-Rockies tickets last night (thanks, Bonnie!) and couldn't pass them up. The girls went to Nora's house and proceeded to stay awake until we picked them up. At 1115. So needless to say, this morning was ROUGH. When we got back from babysitting at Jazzercise at 1030, I realized I hadn't put dinner in the crockpot.

And of course, there was no cranberry sauce to be found. I swear I had 3 cans. So I tried to make the 3 Packet Pot Roast. But I only had 2 of the 3 packets, no gravy or au jus. I did have a taco seasoning packet though. And I ALWAYS have Ro-tel. So I put the pork roast in with an Italian Dressing packet, a Ranch dressing packet and the Taco Seasoning packet. Then I dumped in 2 cans of Ro-tel. I set it on high (since it was already almost 11). And prayed.

Dinner was AWESOME. I probably could have just used 1 can of Ro-tel and have been fine. I think next time I'll do 1 can of Ro-tel and 1 small can of green chiles (I really like the Green Chile Recipe with pork). We ate it with refried black beans and tortillas. Next time, if I'm not so pressed for time, I'll make rice too (I really like the Goya Yellow Rice).

SO happy my experiment worked today. I was not in the mood for dinner to be a hassle. But, the girls went to bed on time tonight with no fussing. And Allison has school tomorrow (her last day) and I have a meeting with my mom's group that should be fun. Plus, it's movie and pizza night! So I have a lot to look forward too. Now, it's a glass of wine and then bed. :)

1 comments:

Me and My Boys said...

It's so funny, I was just thinking last night that's it has been way too long since I cooked a roast...now I may have to try this recipe. :)