Thursday, March 13, 2008

30 Weeks and Monkey Drama

Well, my 30 week appointment went REALLY well. My blood pressure was good and I'd gained 4 pounds (which puts my total at 18 so far). And we got back my gestational diabetes test results......I PASSED!!! Whoo hoo to not having GD this time! In fact, the last couple of days, I've been battling low blood sugar. I'm supposed to get some snacks that are high in protein and/or complex carbs and make sure I eat them in between meals. I also should probably carry some kind of candy (like Jolly Ranchers or something) just in case my sugar does get low (as a quick fix). Yesterday was pretty bad (I thought I was going to pass out) but this afternoon/night was worse. Thankfully Brandon is WONDERFUL and took over everything with Allison.

She was great at the doctor's too. She walked in with Brandon from the parking lot and all the nurses were oohing and ahhing at her walking. On the way out though, she decided that she didn't need Brandon's hand to walk which is normally good. This time it was in the parking lot, so needless to say, she got picked up and carried the rest of the way to the van.

One of the moms in my playgroup took the Elmo cake off my hands (so I didn't eat the whole thing!). Her little boy is turning one and she has a cute "Fun to be one" outfit with Elmo on it. She's a photographer so she's going to use it for his 1 year pictures!

Now to the monkey drama. As most of you who read this know, Allison has a Ty Beanie Baby Pluffie monkey that she carries EVERYWHERE and really needs to sleep. It is her best buddy. We've fortunately gotten her to be able to leave it on the couch while she eats and leave it in the car during playgroup (because she doesn't share it well) and Physical Therapy (because she wouldn't focus on anything else). But she normally takes it in with her to doctor's appointments, grocery stores, libraries, etc. Well, today when Brandon was getting ready to take her upstairs to bed, he couldn't find monkey. I helped him look in all the normal hiding spots (the baby swing, her booster seat, etc) and we couldn't find him. We put her to bed with another stuffed animal (and she cried) and kept looking. I checked the van; Brandon checked the van. Finally, Brandon drove to the doctors office and checked the parking lot. This was the last time either of us remembered seeing monkey. In the meantime, I got on ebay and started looking. When Brandon got back and monkey was still MIA, I called one of the moms in my playgroup. She has the same monkey and had previously offered his services as a substitute should this situation every occur. Brandon took my phone to wait for a callback from her and I took Baby Shrek in to Allison to try to help her fall asleep (no dice on that). The mom called and Brandon went downstairs to leave to go get the substitute monkey. On his way out, he checked ONE last place. Turns out, Allison had lifted the seats in her wagon, stuffed monkey in, and shut them completely (she's never done this before). I called the mom back and talked with her husband. He was bummed because he was going to offer to sell his monkey for $200. I think Brandon probably would have paid that. So we bought a couple more on Ebay and we're going to rotate them in so they all smell right and feel right to her in case one decides to go MIA again. We also realized that we probably should have just asked her where he was. She normally remembers and will go get him. So, to all those who are parents or will be parents, take note. When your child gets a "lovie", buy extras. (Or put a homing device on it).

2 comments:

Josh and Lisa said...

Congrats on no GD this time! We're so glad to hear things are going well and the baby looks adorable already! Also glad to hear that the monkey crisis was averted! Hope to hear from you soon.

John said...

Too funny about monkey! Leah is the same way with her giraffe! I got two of the stuffed animal I wanted to be the lovie and only one giraffe, so of course she picked giraffe!