Monday, February 16, 2009

Cell Phones

So apparently I need to be a cell phone durability tester. My phone is dying.

Now, this isn't my first horrible experience with cell phones. In college, we had a party at our house and my cell phone got stolen (along with a couple of others). Someone found it along the side of the road, where it had been run over. Luckily, it was just the casing that was broken. I was able to go to one of those cell phone kiosks at the mall and buy a new cool purple hawaiian print casing and it was okay.

Then I moved into the sorority house. My phone didn't get service in my room, so I switched from T-Mobile to Sprint and got a new phone.

I think after that, things were okay for awhile and I got a new phone at my 2 year renewal time every year....BUT

Then I learned that baby spit and phones don't mix. So I got another new one. Before we left Mississippi, I dropped my phone in the sink while doing dishes. Dead.

Then I got a new phone, which I loved. Unfortunately, having a very active toddler and being a very clumsy pregnant lady don't mix. I dropped it one too many times and the 1-piece flip phone I loved became 2 pieces. Well, I had only had it for less than a year, so I went to Radio Shack and bought a new phone. I liked it okay at first (it was very different because it wasn't a flip like I was used to) but then I started dropping calls ALL. THE. TIME. I guess I should clarify. It only dropped IMPORTANT calls, like when I was on the phone with Comcast when we were dealing with all of our issues last year or when I was on the phone with the girls' doctor or other such important calls. Just chatting with my mom, in the SAME EXACT SPOT in the house, it would work for hours. (Can you tell how much I LOVED this phone?!?)

SO one of my mommy friends offered me her old Sprint phone which turned out to be the same one Brandon had had (that had now been covered in baby spit). So I've had her phone since March. Unfortunately, it is dying a painful death. 2 days ago, my buttons seemed to not be working too well. Then yesterday, the only buttons that worked were the talk, end, 1, 2, 4, 7 and star (and the arrows on the circle pad at the top). Today, my screen is now not working all the time AND the end/talk buttons only work intermittently. I THINK I can answer calls but I can't make any outgoing ones. What irritates me the most is that I have NO idea what I did to it! I didn't get it wet; I didn't drop it; I didn't let the girls play with it!

So here's what's going to happen. Brandon is eligible for a new phone. His phone is okay except that the place where you plug in the earpiece is dying (I don't use the ear piece, he does). He's going to give me his current phone and order a new one for himself. It should be delivered Wednesday. So until we get this whole thing straightened out, you might have to call me on my house phone. Blah. I HATE being without a cell. Also, while I can, I'm going to go through my phone book and write down everyone's numbers.

PS - This is this really cool "military grade" Motorola phone that construction workers use that I really want, but I'm not eligible for any upgrades so instead of free, it's over $200. Hopefully Brandon's phone will last me that long and then in 2 years, I can get the ultra rugged one. I thought about buying it on Ebay but I'm not exactly sure how that works. (Buying cell phones on Ebay...I know how ebay works).

PPS - Seriously, if anyone knows how I could be a cell phone durability tester, please let me know!

2 comments:

Me and My Boys said...

HA! I've gone thru 4 phones in 4 years..kids are just dandy aren't they? Tucker has been mu biggest "tester." Hope this one last for a little while at least.
BTW-we have purchased 3 of our last phones one ebay and they have all been great. Right now both Stu and I have the Sprint touch phones...

Emily said...

You should check craigslist. Great place to find phones cheaper than the store with no contract and since they are local you can meet at the store to make sure the transfer goes well (phone not stolen or something).